Wednesday 20 August 2014

Descriptive Writing: My English Language Journey (Edited)

My English language journey has been an arduous one. To date, I am still trying to improve my command of the English language. Going back in time, I can still vividly remember that I used to fail every single English CA tests. I was really bad. I could hardly understand the comprehension passages and was not able to answer the questions accurately. I could do well for my other subjects like Humanities and Sciences but not for English. Fortunately, it was during Secondary Four that I realised the importance of the English language. The requirement for a pass in English language in the O level was a big deal for me back then. I was really determined to improve and buck up.

Subsequently, my parents got me enrolled into English tuition as she could not stand seeing the red mark in my report book anymore. The initial stages were tough as I really did not like the idea of learning English from outside classes. However, I am thankful to my tutor who made the learning process an enjoyable one. We were always given essay topics to write on and we would be assessed at the end of the week. Things started to change when I found myself gaining interest and curiosity in English. I must have found the silver lining amidst the long hours of drafting and writing. My English grade then went from a D7 to B3. The grades did not improve overnight. It took a few months. It was definitely not easy but I managed to tide through.

My command of English was still not excellent even when I got into Polytechnic. However, day to day communication and interaction with my peers did help greatly to improve my English. I was also tasked to be the "editor" in my project group. I had to edit the English for all our tutorial assignments before submission as my group felt that I was the better one in English amongst them. My friends were also a huge part of the motivation wheel that introduced me into reading novels.

As of now, I am still on my quest to master my English language as I find it really attractive and charismatic if one can speak and write fluently in English. Hence, even though I have an additional module than my peers, I am actually glad as I believed it would be beneficial. Its indeed a blessing in disguise, I must say.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Angie. I enjoyed reading your post and I am heartened by your positive learning attitude :) Just a few comments regarding clear expression of sentences. In the second paragraph, I felt that this phrase, "...did not like the idea of learning English from outside classes." could be more clearly expressed. Perhaps, "did not like the idea of learning English outside school curriculum." could be better.

    I generally like how your ideas flow from one paragraph to the next paragraph. Your blog post is easy to follow.

    It's been a pleasure being in the same group as you. Look forward to seeing you in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Angie! I really like your spirit and determination in improving your English during your secondary school days! I think you have really reflected on your English Language Journey and put in some thoughts to write this post. Generally, your ideas are coherent and there are just a few minor grammatical errors. From this post, I can see that you are someone with many ideas and I hope that you can share them with us in the classes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very fine post, Angie, with concrete examples within the comprehensive explanation. Clearly, your hard work writing has paid off.

    Here are a few minor problems that appear:
    1) and till date,
    2) The grades did not improved overnight, it took a few months.
    3) I have to edit the English for all our tutorial assignments before submission as my group feels that I am the better one in English amongst them. (tense)

    I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angie, It was an enjoyable experience reading your post as it is clear and coherent. At the same time, I can totally relate myself to the arduous learning journey and all the red marks in the report cards. I'm glad you managed to find the silver lining in all the drafting and writing and made the learning experience more enjoyable. I hope to see more of your posts soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angie!

    From your reflection, I observed the painstaking efforts you have made in order to excel in English and for that, I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete