Tuesday 9 September 2014

Reflective post: An event that has shaped your life and the person you have become (Edited)


When I was doing my internship with EXPERIA Events Pte Ltd during my poly years, I was exposed to my very first big scale international event. As I was studying Integrated Events and Project Managment, the event was a stepping stone for me into the corporate events sphere in Singapore.

I was part of the organizing committee that ran the Singapore Airshow last year. It was a crazy and tiring six months stint at the office in Changi Airport. However, the event did help to change me in different ways. I became more extrovert in character as I had to liaise with many people from all walks of life with regards to running the show. I used to be afraid to strike conversations with strangers and would definitely fade into the background whenever there was an ongoing discussion. I simply did not enjoy sharing and conversing with people I didn't really know. But the event forced me out of my comfort zone and made me accomplish things I thought I was not able to. I can still recall addressing a foreign attendee with regards to her needs for the show. It was really not easy for me but I had to display professionalism and had to attend to her with poise. I also became more meticulous and organized in my work as compared to before, where I would make mental notes instead of writing it down on my scheduler. To date, many qualities and attributes I have developed stemmed from this six months of once in a lifetime work experience.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Angie. I enjoyed reading this and learning about how you had been pushed out of your comfort zone. Thanks for sharing!

    Just a couple minor language issues:

    1) ....whenever there's an ongoing discussion. (tense)

    2) made me accomplished things (word form)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie,

    Your story is very interesting in the sense that the event actually caused a significant impact on your character. Though I noticed you were quite reserved during the first few classes, you eventually engaged well in class and demonstrated an outspoken character.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete