Monday 13 October 2014

ES1102 Mid Term Appraisal

Initially, I was a little apprehensive about ES1102 and felt that it was a burdensome module. To add on, the module even took up two days of my weekly schedule. I felt even sour for having to attend this module as it meant that my English was bad. After nine weeks into this module, I am glad I “qualified” for it. This module has enriched and honed my written and analytic skills. The materials provided were very informative and it was applicable to my other modules as well.

What I really liked about this module is that the class is small in size. Although it was really awkward for the first few sessions as everyone was foreign to me, a few sessions later helped cleared up the awkwardness amongst the people in the class. Our tutor Brad, was also a funny and approachable guy who makes our learning more conducive. Brad would often pair us up with different people in class or group us randomly according to our height or age. I feel that this is a very good way to encourage conversation and interaction between different people in the class as we have to work together with our new weekly partners to complete the in-class assignments. The amount of work assigned for this module is however, relatively heavy considering that it is a zero module credit course. Luckily, Brad was very understanding if we failed to meet the datelines for our essay submission in class.

I feel that the class as a whole, has a very positive learning vibe as I see that my peers are really enthusiastic during classes. The in-class activities are also interesting and informative, such as grammar editing for essays. The in-class assignments are also easy to absorb and understand as they are all in the form of bite size information. I especially like the fact that the class often engages in discussion. We will share thoughts and doubts relating to each other’s work or on certain academic essays. To date, I feel that the class has progressed and improved significantly as compared to the very first time we met in this class. It is also heartening to see the class progress together. In all my other modules, I feel that learning is very individualistic and competitive. Whereas in ES1102, I feel that everyone learns and errs together and the learning environment is very positive and encouraging. I hope this module will continue to enrich and benefit more people in the future. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the detailed feedback, Angie. I really appreciate your effort providing an appraisal.

    ReplyDelete