Wednesday 12 November 2014

ES1102 Critical Reflection

The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

It had been a short but fulfilling twelve weeks with class A05 and our tutor Brad. In this module, we were given numerous assignments to complete both individually and in pairs or groups. As a result, there had been a lot of peer discussions and evaluations going on throughout the course of this module. This was also one of the learning features of this module that I particularly liked about, and which has also benefitted and enriched my learning of the English Language.

The idea of having peer evaluation is crucial for a student to understand themselves more, to write and to analyse more effectively in academic style on a tertiary level education.

It might be a little taxing at the start as we had to constantly comment and give opinions or feedbacks on an issue discussed during class or on a certain piece of writing by one of our classmates. Nonetheless, it became a norm for us at the end of week three. By engaging in peer evaluation, we were able to learn and pick up mistakes on our own writing as our peers would evaluate our work after each completed assignment. As everyone has differing ideas and opinions, we were able to relook at our writing in a different light whenever one of our classmates comments and points out our mistakes. It was actually really effective as there were instances whereby my peers pointed out some obvious errors in my essay which I overlooked while drafting it. It then allowed me to quickly amend the errors accordingly and my essay make more sense thereafter.  

Besides allowing myself to self-assess my work through the eyes of my peers, peer evaluation also allowed me to assess and look at academic essays and writing critically. This was so as the syllabus of this module taught us skills and tips on how to write, evaluate and assess academic writings more effectively and efficiently. The in-class discussions together with Brad and the class were also informative and interesting as learning took place in a more engaging manner, and I believed it set out the right tone and environment for conducive learning to take place. In addition, Brad was also friendly and approachable. We felt really comfortable to look for him regarding any issues during and after classes, This module has allowed me to not only hone my writing skills but also my oral and communication skills with people. Through presentations and peer evaluation time during classes, I had to communicate and interact with different people and it has greatly helped me to convey my ideas across more convincingly. 

All in all, the module has allowed me to learn a lot about the English Language. The skills and knowledge I have gained in class were also applicable to other modules in my course. The things I have learnt during class were not solely restricted to this module but also other modules (South Asian studies) as I have to write essays for my upcoming exams. It was indeed a fun-filled yet tedious module but also the most enjoyable one amongst my other modules I had in my first semester. Before I conclude, I would also like to wish all my fellow friends good luck and hope that everyone will do well in their studies from here on. It was really nice knowing the people from class A05 and I had a great time here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,
    Thanks for your detailed critical reflection on this English course. I am delighted that you generally felt positive about this course. I agreed with you that this course has helped us improve on our writing skills and communication skills. As such, you have proven to us by this piece of fine reflection that you wrote. I generally do not see any problems or mistakes.
    I am glad to know you and work with you over this 13 weeks. I guess I still have several areas such as oral presentation and learning attitude which I got to learn from you. Hope that you will ace in your upcoming South Asian Studies exam essay as well as other academic modules.
    Wish you all the best in your University stint and see you around in school.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Angie,

    When I read Kaiyao's comment, I thought to myself, "Well, there ya go. Kaiyao's done the job for me. He's thanked Angie in a very professional way for her insightful reflection not just on feedback but on the course in general. So what can I add?"

    Here's what: This is really a very fine reflection, not so much because of the accolades (which I appreciate) but because you show well how far you have progressed, writing so clearly throughout the discussion. Even if I only look at the section on 'peer feedback,' I'm impressed by how you bring the concept to life by using your own experience, your own learning. You do mention a bit vaguely what you took from reading other students' writing: It might be a little taxing at the start as we had to constantly comment and give opinions or feedbacks on an issue discussed during class or on a certain piece of writing by one of our classmates. That could have been expanded. But overall I'm happy to report that your essay's development is clear and concise. Of course, I also appreciate the favorable evaluation, especially when you state that what you learned in ES1102 might transfer to other coursework.

    Whatever the case, it was a pleasure to work with you this term. I'm sure everyone else in A5 will attest to the many in-class contributions you made. The positive vibes brightened our room. Much appreciated! Now I wish you a great learning journey ahead!


    ReplyDelete