Thursday 6 November 2014

ES1102 Essay Presentation Reflection


I am a person who really enjoys designing presentation slides. I suppose this was cultivated within me a few years back. I was really impressed and inspired by one of my classmates back at my Poly years. Whenever she does her presentation, her slides were always really pretty and just catches the eyeballs of the class. Also, due to the curriculum of our modules in Poly, most of the assignments required us to present or pitch our ideas/proposal. It was from that moment when I started to really enjoy doing up slides and would often invest large amount of effort and time to make my slides look amazing. So, it was really heartwarming and a huge mental boost to know that the class liked my slides. (Thank you guys!)

To be honest, I was actually very nervous and my heart was beating like crazy from the point when Sean started his presentation. I always have this adrenaline rush and my heartbeat will rocket sky high before any presentations. However, today I was glad I managed to pull off quite well (at least I did not blank out) and finished my presentation. Truth be told, I actually took this mini presentation as an opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone. I have always presented with a script or at least cue cards to guide myself and straighten out my flow of thoughts. Today's presentation was really my first time trying to do something different and I was really happy and satisfied with my presentation today as I was able to accomplish something I have always dreamt of. (I would always be secretly impressed with people who can articulate and present really well)

The class have also gave some comments and suggestions regarding my presentation and I would take them into considerations so that I can improve and use them on my future presentations. Brad have also mentioned my floating eye-contact during my presentation. This was actually a distraction trick for myself which I adopted in my Poly years to prevent myself from being too nervous during presentation time. However, I understand and agree that if I was able to look into the eyes of my audience, it would certainly help to bring my presentation skills to the next level. I would definitely work on that.

Good job for the rest of the people who presented and those who have presented on Monday! :)
And all the best to those who have yet to present as well ^_^ 



4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,


    You did an excellent presentation yesterday. I must say you are a natural born speaker, able to express your thoughts and ideas fluently and effortlessly. As agreed by the whole class, your overall presentation was very engaging. You related the ideas to your personal encounters and expressed your own opinions to them. I could also see your confidence and enthusiasm throughout your speech - portraying natual gestures and even shaking body when you mentioned about McDonald's commercial. Sadly, you engaged with us verbally with only minimum or zero eye contact. You also did not give a chance or paused a second for audience to response your "30,000" question. Nonetheless, you overall did a fantastic job.

    Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million for this detailed post, Angie. I'm glad you enjoyed prepping the presentation and then delivering it. As Kaiyao states, presenting is obviously a potential strength for you. You will be a super presenter once you conquer your fears and are willing to engage the audience eye to eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,

    I was very impressed by your presentation last week! By talking about your grandmother, we could all relate to your topic and see how important it is for the implementation of the various solutions. Your slides were simple, clear, and filled with cute icons which I really liked! I especially liked your ending, with the "offline" to "online" icons which fitted into this digital divide context very well. Overall, your presentation was a great and enjoyable one. If you could make more eye contact with the audience in the future, it would be perfect!

    Thanks for such an amazing presentation. I really learnt a lot from you. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a million for the kind words guys! ^_^ really appreciate it and I will definitely work on it in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete